Friday, September 30, 2011

Pace in Writing

Ask anybody who knows me in person and they will tell you have a problem with rushing. I rush everything: Shopping, eating, driving (that's right, get out of my way). I also tend to rush in my writing. Most would take that as I don't enjoy writing; I mean how could I if I'm rushing the story along?

But it's so not that. When I rush in my stories, it's because I see a particular scene in my head. One I am dying to get too. Now, I know I could always go and write the scene first, then go back to to the points leading to it. But I feel this ruins the organic process of creating in your story. I can't tell you how many times I've been writing up to a big scene, only to have it change drastically thanks to a small change in the build up (the build up I am rushing to move through).

There are also times when I feel I'm too sloooooow. I enjoy writing dialogue, especially when it's developing relationships between characters. I hate to admit it, but where my pacing was too fast before, it completely comes to a stand still here. Or at least rather, as I see it.

So where is the happy medium? Many writers will say, you have to juggle the slow and the fast and interweave them so the reader gets caught up in a whirlwind, but then also has time to rest. I agree 100%, but I find it hard to tell if I am creating the right type of harmony within my novel regarding this.

No real point or conclusion to this rambling, just my thoughts as I come up for air from writing.
Link
Edit: Lacks did a real awesome follow-up post to this. Read it here: http://stevenlacks.blogspot.com/2011/09/re-pace-in-writing.html

1 comment:

  1. I hope you don't mind, I responded to this post on my blog. I linked back to you.

    Pleasing writers is almost impossible. Most are looking for your writing to fit certain preconceived notion of what writing should be. It is your story and you should tell it the way you think it will best be told. Notice though that I did not say that you should do it the way you want. You have a goal, if you write and edit with your goal in mind, then you will produce the product you meant to produce. Don't get hung up on something and break your creative flow.

    ReplyDelete